You need to know before evaluating alcohol treatment programs that everyone has their own needs and this is very important factor that you have to keep in your mind when choosing. The period of treatment depends upon the period of drinking and each individual past experiences and current situation.
No matter what the period of the program, it important to follow up on the recovery. You need to know that a good recovery programs not only focuses on your drinking problem but also pinpoints the problems that you have in your life, which makes you drink.
What to look for in an alcohol treatment program
One of the biggest factors to consider when searching for a program is the legitimacy of the program you are considering. Don’t get caught up on the amazing views it may have and the amount of publicity they receive because most likely they will charge higher fees and you will receive the same guidance as one that is more affordable. Here are some things that you might like to consider in a treatment program:
- Program accreditation and licensing. Firstly you need to focus on the accreditation of the program you are taking from the state you live in and also make sure that licensed people administer the program.
- The effectiveness of the program’s treatment methods. The program should have some success stories that they can show for. It is smart to speak to a neutral third party about the success a friend or family member may have had their so you can receive an unbiased review.
- Type of aftercare services to prevent relapse. You need to make sure that there is well organized after care programs and that they refer you to some support groups in the community to help you after the treatment so you don’t start drinking again.
An overview of alcohol treatment programs
|Different alcohol programs that are offered:|
|Residential treatment – These program offer individuals to stay with them from anywhere between 30-90 days at a time to receive full treatment and guidance 24/7.|
|Partial hospitalization – This type of treatment is for people who have a stable situation but they need consecutive monitoring for 6 hours a day and 3-5 days a week.|
|Intensive outpatient program (IOP) – In this type of program, the person doesn’t need to stay at the facility but they must appear 3 days a week and the duration of each session is typically around 2 hours or so. These programs usually focus more on the prevention of relapse.|
|Counseling (Individual, Group, or Family) – This type of treatment is done as follow up of some major treatment. In these counseling sessions, the main purpose is to identify the cause of your drinking so that you can stop what triggers your drinking, which will prevent you from any possible drinking in the future.|
|Sober living – This type of program is done through residential treatment and you live with people who are also recovering from addiction and live in environments, which are alcohol and drug free. These are great programs if you are transitioning from a 24/7 facility to reality (living on your own).|
|Brief intervention – This is beneficial for individuals that are facing the danger of alcohol abuse, not so much addicts. This involves several visits to professionals who will tell the individual all of the harmful situations that alcohol brings and the technique to get away from it.|
Finding an alcohol treatment program in the U.S.
If you want to look for the best-certified drug or alcohol treatment centers; Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) offers a large list of centers for you. If you want to check their database, there are two ways:
- Try SAMHSA’s Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator and search for specific facilities.
- Call the help center of SAMHSA’s Center for Substance Abuse Treatment:
- 1-800-662-9832 (Español)
- 1-800-228-0427 (TDD)
State Substance Abuse Agency is also a very useful place to look if you want to find out which treatment centers of high ratings and reviews. Every state typically organizes information by accreditation, toll free helplines and its own information in their database.
Finding an alcohol treatment program in other countries
In the UK:
- Try to look for NHS Support Services so that you can get counseling as well as rehab facilities in your own area.
- Addaction is available to provide you many programs that you might want, such as counseling, group rehab and simple rehab.
- Department of Health and Ageing, which is based in Australia, gives everyone the opportunity to learn more on alcohol and drug rehab.
- Canadian Drug Rehab Centres gives everyone the ability to access the database showing the treatment programs which includes the drug and alcohol treatment programs.
Paying for alcohol treatment in the U.S.
The cost that alcohol treatment has depends upon the type of treatment you need, the insurance you have and the facilities that you choose. The following are some things that you should do which will help you out to pay for your treatment:
- Check your insurance. If you have got yourself any sort of health insurance then you need to call your insurance representative of your insurance agency and check out what your insurance may cover in your treatment. This way, you’ll be able to deduct what you have to pay from your pocket.
- Look into programs that offer sliding scale or reduced payment options. Do check with the substance abuse agency of your own state or you can call SAMSHA to check out which program is affordable in your area so you can get the necessary attention while staying in your budget.